Friday, March 30, 2012

DIY: 5-Minute Low-Back Bra

DIY low back bra tutorial tights and tea tightsandtea

Want to wear low-back shirts/dresses without being tacky? Just get two items for this super fast DIY!
Tutorial on how to make your own DIY low-back backless shirt bra
{an elastic extension that wraps around your waist and attaches to the hook/eye of your bra}

materials needed to make your own low-back bra: elastic and bra hooks

What You'll Need:
Elastic
Bra Hook & Eye
 Sewing Equipment (by hand or sewing machine)
  Your Favorite Bra!
(total cost = $3 from Discount Fabrics)
 When you buy..
1. Make sure the bra hooks match up with the bra you're using; if your bra has 2 hooks, find an eye with 2 hooks.
 Any sewing or craft store will have these; alternatively, the dollar store or thrift store might have bras you can salve hooks/eyes from (you might get funny stares at the checkout line though). I would personally get them at a discount fabric store, like Fabric Outlet in SF ($.99 up by the cash register). They're overpriced at stores like Jo-Ann.

2. Make sure the elastic is the same width as the hook and eye. It should be long enough to comfortably wrap around your waist--but don't cut it yet! Keep in mind that it will be in contact with your bare skin.

Steps:
1.  Sew either the hooks OR the eyes to one end of the elastic. I like to keep the elastic on top so the raw edge won't chafe. The type of stitch shouldn't really matter since you're not sewing in the direction of the stretch (just make sure it's securely attached).
I'm painfully bad at sewing since I bought my machine less than a week ago--I just ran a zig-zag stitch a bunch of times over. If I made it work, I'm sure you can too!

1B. There was a pre-attached elastic tag I didn't need, which I just trimmed off. Do whatever works best for you; if the hook/eye has two pieces of fabric, sew the elastic in between them.

2. Put your favorite bra on, and attach the bra's hook to the eye on the elastic. Wrap the elastic around your waist once; imagine where the elastic would attach on the other side of your bra and mark it.
Alternatively, you can use something like 9/10ths of your waist measurement. Since it's elastic, you don't need to be exact. If it ends up being too loose, you could always sew off a pinch of elastic and trim it off?
Remember: this should be able to hold 'everything' in place, so although it shouldn't be uncomfortably constricting, it shouldn't be loose (who wants a loose bra?). Getting the right length is probably the most important step.

3. Sew the remaining hook or eye to the place you marked on your elastic, and trim the remainder. Make sure you sew on the correct sides--if the hook is facing up, the eye will face down. Try to keep the raw elastic edge on the side that won't be in contact with your skin.

How To Adjust:
To make the back tighter, tug on the elastic on your waist. To make the back looser, tug on the elastic on the back.
To make the bra back higher or lower, simply pull up or down. Adjust tightness (and bra straps) accordingly.

Variations:
If you used clear elastic, you could probably pull off a sheer-back shirt like this super cute DIY from inspiration&realization:
(as long as there's enough fabric to cover your actual bra)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It works because I'm using it below :). If you're still not convinced, you'll find you can actually buy products like this.
diy craft fashion tutorial low-back bra low back backless

Pics from the same day: my MIA Quincy lace-up wedges, soo comfy!
(they're OOS, but they made a flat version called the Botticelli, which I think is still sold online. There's also this one for $25 at Urban Outfitters)

Stay tuned, and don't forget to follow! If you reblog and make your own, please credit me :).

//I apologize for going awol for so long--I had a pretty busy few months, and on top of that my laptop broke lol.

1. Laura said... March 30, 2012 at 7:20 PM

What a great and simple idea!!! Thank you.

2. tightsandtea said... March 30, 2012 at 7:29 PM

@Laura Thanks so much! :)

3. bedazzles after dark said... March 30, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Adorable blog!! And this idea is GENIUS! xoxo :)

4. Josie said... March 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Wow.. that's genius!

Thanks for sharing! I will have to try this out if I buy a top like that! That's honestly why I DONT have tops like that, because of the bra issue! Thanks!

- Josie :: http://8bitgrayscale.blogspot.com

5. Sweet Fix @ Maria Corcuera said... March 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Wow!! that´s amazing!!! I always have bra problems, concerning low cut dresses

6. Becky said... March 31, 2012 at 8:44 AM

This is absolutely genius!

Becky
    xx

7. tightsandtea said... March 31, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Thanks everyone! Hope it works for you guys too :)

8. donatella said... April 5, 2012 at 2:32 AM

thank you for linking to my project! I like your low-bra instructions: i will do that! :) have a great day! xox, d.

9. Lissa said... April 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Interesting idea. And yes I completely agree with you on the spam, this week alone I have reported at least twenty pins. I also stop following anyone that pins ads or spam, I no longer follow about fifteen people because of this.

10. Kellie said... April 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM

this is awesome! thanks for the tutorial! (found you via pinterest:))

11. AErauw said... April 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I absolutely love this! I have quite a few tops with an open back, and I looove them. But I hate wearing them with a bra, because the bra spoils it and without a bra I just don't feel comfortable or at ease. So thank you so much for this DIY! I'm your newest follower on GFC and bloglovin! If you'd like, you could check out my blog..

XO Aline
    browneyedgirlaline.blogspot.com

12. MateaTPol said... April 9, 2012 at 10:58 PM

i love love your tutorial is so cool :) and i love desing of your blog its so cute!

13. This Girl... said... April 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Stroke of genius...just bought a low back sweater from theory and have been trying to figure out how to wear it.

14. Ly said... April 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Ahhh This is perfect! I needed this. I love wearing backless dresses but can never find the right bra.

15. sparks213 said... April 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

what shoes are they? so cute!

16. spasibasong said... April 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM

No joke about the Pinterest spam issue - it's recent and it really crops up in the 'search' ... Brilliant bra adjustment; any tricks for straps that continually slide off one's shoulders??

17. Anonymous said... April 22, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Where did you get your shoes from?? So cute!

18. Anonymous said... April 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Isn't this uncomfortable? I feel like it probably wouldn't provide the full support of the bra, either.... Anyone tried this and agree?

19. Kristina said... May 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

This is an amazing idea as I absolutely love low backed shirts but just could not (even with a tinier chest) imagine going braless.

20. Anonymous said... May 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I love this idea! I'm totally going to do this. & I LOVE your shoes! Where'd you get them? They're adorable

21. Cookies with Cronkite said... June 1, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Hey there! I loved this idea and your blog so I posted it on mine, Cookies with Cronkite. This DIY is featured in my TOP TEN PICKS ON CRAFTGAWKER post. I provided a link to your post and blog as well! Hope you don't mind! Click the link if you want to see what other ideas made the post!!

22. Fran Rossano said... June 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM

wow! can't wait to try this!

23. fran said... June 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM

plz invent a quick fix for not seeing bra straps if i'm wearing a wide necked top

24. Anonymous said... June 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Fran, to keep bra straps from showing in a wide-neck or boat-neck just put a loop of fabric on the inside seam of the top that attaches on one side with a snap or button. Loop this under the bra strap to keep the top from slipping and showing the strap. I am lazy and use a safety pin, I just have the one side of the pin under the strap, and hook the pin into the seam and close it, the strap shouldn't be pinned, just held so the top doesn't slip.

25. corvustristis said... July 6, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I bought a convertible low-back bra and regularly take the long strap and hook it to whatever bra I want. Your way is so much more frugal. :)

And I've got to agree- what ARE those shoes? My google-fu comes up with similar cutout wedge sandals, but nothing quite as lovely (and comfortable, apparently) as those.

26. Klarrity said... July 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Ahhh . . . thank you for sharing this. It will make quite in difference for me.

27. Anonymous said... July 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Great idea! And you're so completely right about Pinterest. Love the exposure, hate the spam.

28. The Love Hanger said... July 15, 2012 at 2:02 AM

This is an amazing DIY and so easy!!! I definitely think I'm going to do this even though I don't own too many backless dresses or tops. But you never know! Maybe now I'll start buying more. :) <3

toni

29. Candice C. said... July 17, 2012 at 6:55 AM

could you please tell me where you got those shoes?!? they are so adorable!!!

30. Kessem said... July 24, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I love this! I never understand how woman with a bust (who can't go braless) wear backless things, now I do! I love this!

31. tightsandtea said... July 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM

The shoes in the pic are the Mia Quincy Cut Out Lace Wedges :).

32. Erin Pauls said... August 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM

This was such an incredible find! Thank you!

33. L said... August 31, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Thank you! I'm maid of honour in a wedding, and the dress is just slightly too low in the back for my bra - this will work PERFECTLY!

34. Wendy said... September 3, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Thanks so much for this! I have a lovely dress but it has a cutout at the back, I wore it once with a blazer but don't want to be confined to wearing a jacket.

35. ninabobeena said... October 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM

what a great idea! perfect for wearing with this great low-back shirt I have. also, your photos are great :)

36. Ela Ward said... December 8, 2012 at 1:20 AM

That is such a great idea and at the end of the day you are still comfortable in your favourite bra and you haven't paid a fortune for a new bra

37. Cathy Anderson said... January 18, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Wow great idea, i will apply on cheap playtex bras, thanks for sharing good info about resizing bra.

38. M.gribal said... February 16, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I was about to buy one of these but there were expensive so I was happy to see your post! I did it and it works well! Thank you very much!

39. Cathy Anderson said... March 30, 2013 at 4:02 AM

Love it Just what I expected it to be!! Very happy with my order Thank you so much.I was worried that it wasn't going to be comfortable but it is!!! I plan to order buy wonderbra online

40. Anonymous said... April 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM

bookmarked!!, I love your website!

Feel free to surf to my web blog :: tao of badass

41. Anonymous said... April 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I dο not even know how I enԁeԁ uρ herе,
    but I thought thіs рost waѕ great.
    Ӏ don't know who you are but certainly you'ге going
    to a famous blogger if уou are not аlreаdy ;)
    Chеerѕ!

Feel frеe tο surf tο my blog post www.braggcrane.com

42. Anonymous said... May 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I literally just chucked this together using the clips from an old bra and some elastic in about 4 minutes, and it actually works! THANK YOU! You're a lifesaver!

43. Anonymous said... June 1, 2013 at 2:23 PM

The downside tο artiсle marκeting іs that
    it is а fairly slow way to buіld yοur trаffіc, but eveгy time you submit a new
    aгticle, you improve your агticle mагkеting efforts which ωill boost your sales efforts oѵеr timе.
    The backlіnks chесkеr is an іmportant tool to web adminіѕtrаtoгs аnd sitе
    owners whο аre new to creating lіnκs.
    It's a must-have SEO tool that will assist you in your quest for links and finally contribute to your website's hіgh ranking.

Mу web ρagе :: free bulk pagerank checker software

44. Emma P said... June 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I just discover a 1-minute, no-saw bra extender - 2 paper clips. It's extremely simple and still comfortable. I'm wearing them.

45. srizonbo said... September 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Thanks for this post. Really this is first class site and We are veryhappy .strapless bh Een strapless moet natuurlijk goed zitten. Een strapless werkt alleen als het een onzichtbare bh, een zefklevende bh en een transparante bh in één is. strapless bh , Een strapless bh dient een hele avond mee te gaan en is het liefst nog hergebruikbaar ook. Gelukkig zijn deze strapless plak bh's te vinden op plakbh.nl waar een veelvoud aan plak bh's worden aangebode. A strapless bra should fit perfectly. A strapless bra only works if it is an invisible bra, an adhesive bra and a transparant bra all together. A strapless bra should stay on all night and if it is re-usable, its even better. Happily, the strapless bra's of plakbh.nl are very good and they have a big variety available

46. jelly andrews said... December 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM

What a brilliant idea. This is really cool. And I will definitely going to give this tutorial a try. This would let me wear low back dress without worrying how keep the bra strap from being visible.
    BraEssentials.com

47. bumbu pecel bali said... March 3, 2014 at 6:53 PM

this is good post, i like this....

form
    can you visit here please....

tanks very much.... :)

48. Micheal Hussey said... March 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Informative article, precisely what I wanted.
    bubblegum casting

49. pak gendoet said... March 28, 2014 at 11:15 PM

this is good post...

i like this...

please can you visit here..

tengs very much...

50. Alina John said... April 1, 2014 at 10:22 PM

I’m trampled by your contents carry on the wonderful work.
    is bubblegum casting legitimate

51. Albert einstien said... April 14, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Great blog post! I don’t understand how long it will require me to obtain through all of them!
    bubblegum casting

52. thomas morrison said... April 14, 2014 at 11:26 PM

It’s amazing in support of me to truly have a web site that is valuable meant for my knowledge.
    bulbblegum casting