Saturday, September 1, 2012

DIY: Book to Tablet/E-Reader Case

There are tons of new tablets set to be released this fall--I myself just bought a Nexus 7 from Google, which I can't get my hands off of. Stay tuned for a quick and easy way to make your own customized case!

What You'll Need:
Book/Notebook
Xacto Knife/Box Cutter
E-book/Tablet/etc
Ruler
Elmer's glue

Optional:
Felt
Super glue

Before You Buy:
Make sure the pages are large enough to fit the tablet, by at least .5" in each direction.
Mine was almost the size of the tablet itself, so it was harder to cut and secure.
Look for something that already has some method of securing the book flaps (mine has elastic).
Discount stores like TJ Maxx are good for journals, and thrift stores are good for books.

Steps:

1. Measure the length and width of your tablet, and mark the locations of your tablet's buttons (volume, power, etc).
Trace this onto the first page you will cut. If you want to line your case with felt, make the margins a little thinner.

2. To hold everything in place, spread a THIN layer of Elmer's glue over the pages.
Too much glue at a time will cause pages to wrinkle. Periodically re-apply glue as needed.

3. Fold book flaps back, and start using the box cutter on the pages; at some point, check to see if the case fits.
TIP: Rotary scissors will speed up the process once you've already made an indentation with the box cutters.

4. Remember to trim away areas for button access. Secure with glue as needed.

5. OPTIONAL:  Line your case with felt; snip squares off in the corners so the edges meet.
Cut appropriately around button access cutouts.
Use superglue to hold everything in place. You don't need to glue the bottom so much as the sides.

6. Trim anything unsightly, re-glue pages, etc. Admire your new case!

Be creative--turn your favorite novel into your e-reader case! Alternatively, if you'd rather spend money on a quality case than a cheap DIY, there are tons of tablet book cases to choose from (i.e.Portenzo, Dodocase).

If you're handy with tools, I would recommend removing the pages entirely, and making a wooden frame instead.

1. Becky said... September 2, 2012 at 5:49 AM

Wow, that is incredible! Such a fantastic idea!

Becky
    xx

2. Crystal said... September 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Omg. Just the thing I need. My brother JUST bought me a Google Nexus and I would love to use some old journals to cover that thing up. Thanks!

x, Crystal
    crystal dots.

3. Miss Dre said... October 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM

This is such a cute idea! I have a few new journals and I think I may give this a try for my e-reader!

Thanks for sharing =)

4. Nisha said... October 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Loved your blog! Couldn't stop going through it! New follower! <3

5. astrixwhitesand said... December 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM

love it!! also got the nexus 7 a few days ago and i've been looking for ideas for a case, and this one is amazing, thank you :)

6. June said... April 3, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I love your blog! Its really creative and cute! Please drop by to mine sometime and if you like maybe we could follow each other?
    xx
    www.junewantsitall.com

7. yosTeK said... July 28, 2013 at 5:08 AM

no body is going to rob your tablet ;) they will think that its a book

8. Anonymous said... January 24, 2014 at 5:24 PM

love it! my brother got a kindle. it will be perfect!!!!!!!

9. Anonymous said... October 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Excellent idea ! My father got the same idea and told me i could use an old book in order to make a case for my e reader and so i was looking for some explanations !

I hate the idea of killing animals so i did not want to buy a leather case for my e-reader, in addition they are very expensive and i dont like the idea of spending 35$ in order to get one of these leather cases !

Your e reader case looks very beautiful ! What an original idea !

Thank you !!!!

10. Anonymous said... October 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

My Pocketbook ultra will look very nice in it ! I will just have to drill a hole in the case in order to still be able to take photos with my pocketbook xD lol

11. Anonymous said... November 20, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Great post.

12. website said... November 21, 2015 at 12:17 AM

In all probability you have read through books,that other people haven't read and maybe couple of different individuals have really known about,what's critical,is that you have entered them and originate from that experience advanced as a result of it.Rising as you get to be encouraged through the experience of sharing in a diverse mindset for a period,that is the genuine quality of a great book!

@Laura Smith.

13. jowdjbrown said... March 6, 2016 at 12:50 AM

Stay tuned for a quick and easy way to make your own customized case!buy matcha powder melbourne

14. Richard C. Lambert said... March 22, 2016 at 12:24 AM

Thanks for visiting my blog, David-san. The amount of tea leaves will affect a lot to the taste of brewed tea. I’m glad that the pictures helped to you. Enjoy your tea! powder green tea perth